Monday 7 January 2013

Prologue


I lie on the cool stone floor
The hard flagstones digging into my back
Thoughts flow through my mind, rushing like water
I lift my head, and then drop it. Crack.

How did I get here? I think to myself
Alas, my memory gives me no answer to this
I crawl to my knees, pain lances through me
My ears prick up as I hear an ominous hiss.

After an age I drag myself up
Looking around, I let out a gasp of awe
There are stone walls all around me
And smooth stone covers the floor.

I spot a darkened passage
Tentatively I take a step inside
What I see chills my blood to ice
And leaves my jaw hanging wide.

There is a huge cavern, filled with hundreds of shelves
They are stacked with dusty tomes, book upon book upon book
I reach for one, and change my mind; these books feel wrong
For now, I will simply look.

Staring at the ceiling, I see thick, dirty grey webs
Stretching across the entire cave roof
Great spiders roam on these, their legs angled menacingly
But it is with horror I learn the truth.

These spiders are skinless, their eyes are white
Milky and filmy, these spiders are blind
I take a step back in terror
And now a book I find.

I tumble into a shelf, which tips alarmingly
It settles safely, but a book falls out on me
I carefully pick it up, and open the pages
I begin to remember, to see.

I know what I have lost, I remember who I am
A child of eleven, I was playing with my friends
I ran off and got myself lost, and forgot myself
But now it all makes sense.

Clutching the book tight, I turn to leave
When all at once, there’s a sound behind me
I turn, and take in the figure
An old man, blind, no eyes in his sockets, he grins at me.

His voice is like silk, like the webs of the spiders above
Yet like the webs it hides something worse
“So, you’ve remembered now,” He hisses
“This time is not your first.”

He strides towards me, I am frozen with fear
I can do nothing but stand there in place
He reaches out his hands, his long bony fingers
One finger touches my face.

“Forget,” He croons. “Forget all you know.”
My arms and legs become heavy as lead,
“It is time you slept again, child” He says
I cannot argue, but I am filled with dread.

I fall back to the cool stone floor
The hard flagstones digging into my back
Thoughts flow through my mind, rushing like water
Then they fade, as all fades to black.

No comments:

Post a Comment