Friday 11 January 2013

Chapter Three


My eyes flutter open
I let out a groan
I lift up my head and peer around
I feel like I’ve bruised a bone.

Gingerly, I pull myself up
Standing on my two feet
I stagger, weak, my balance gone
I resume my stone floor seat.

How did I get here? I think to myself
Instant déjà vu
I take a look down a long passageway
Darkness, and at the end a tiny patch of blue.

Once again I stand up tall
I stagger, I lean on the wall
I take a deep breath to clear my head
Thoughts crowd my mind instead.

For we shall watch as the river flows,
Down the winding path it goes…
Song lyrics? A poem?
They drift through my head like the soft, cold as it snows.

I am confused. I shake my head
I must make my way from here
I creep into the dark passageway
My body tingles with fear.

Oh horror! I see before me now
A cavern, surely meant for giant folk
My breath has stopped, too shocked for words
Such size, I struggle to cope.

What place is this, that has a cave so large
And makes me dread it so?
Is it the cold that seeps into my bones
Or it the chill wind that blows?

I have lost all track of time
I have been here for minutes, hours, months, days
Have I been here before? Or not at all?
My memory is covered with fog and with haze.

I am aware of one thing
This cold stone floor beneath me
I must force myself to move, move
Before the spiders take me.

I see them scuttle along the passages
I see them turn their blind eyes to my face
I see their skinless corpse-white bodies turn
As if to say I am of no consequence.

I am no longer needed here, no longer valued so
The master of this dreadful domain will soon turn me back
But I almost remember, from my cracked and broken memories
A time when I was happy
And then it fades to black.

I remember his eyes, like something dead walking
Not the hellfire like that of a demon, nor shiny like a gem
But happy memories
Or, at least, the lack of them.

It’s happening again, I feel him draw near
The Blind One returns to the child he hurts
Again and again it happens, or is this time the first?
He reaches out his finger. This part’s the worst.

Oh great one, I feel your strength!
And your memories come rushing in like a river through a broken dam to my head
It is too much for me to hold, too much to remember
I fall back to my freezing stone bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment